Monday 23 May 2016

#4. An Exclusive Interview with Mr. Gerald W. Darnell


Gerald W. Darnell


Interviewed By: Ms. Nita Samantaray




A Florida native, Gerald grew up in the small town of Humboldt, Tennessee. He attended high school and was a graduate of HHS class of 64. Following graduation from the University of Tennessee, he spent time in Hopkinsville, KY, Memphis, TN and Newport, AR before moving back to Florida - where he now lives. During the early 70's the author actually worked from an office in the Memphis Pea body hotells. So many of the events about the hotells in Carson Reno's stories are real as well as many of the characters you meet. His fiction books are what he calls 'Fiction for Fun'. They use real geography and include pictures and characters some readers might recognize. The 'Carson Reno Mystery Series' features adventure mysteries set in the early 1960 time period. Current published 'Carson Reno Mysteries' include 'Murder in Humboldt', 'The Price of Beauty in Strawberry Land', 'Killer Among Us', 'Horse Tales', 'the Crossing', 'SUnset 4', 'the Everglades', 'The Illegals', 'Dead Men Don't Remember' ,'Fingerprint Murders','Reelfoot', 'Justifiable Homicide', 'Dead End' and ‘Murder and More’.





Lets have a glance on what he has to say on my Questions:


Nita: Hi Gerald, I welcome you to ‘’All about an Author’’
Gerald: Thanks for having me here.

Nita: Tell me a bit about yourself.
Gerald: I am a Florida native, grew up in the small town of Humboldt, Tennessee. I attended high school and was a graduate of HHS class of 64. Following graduation from the University of Tennessee, I spent time in Hopkinsville, KY, Memphis, TN and Newport, AR before moving back to Florida - where I lives now. During the early 70's the I actually worked from an office in the Memphis Peabody hotells. So many of the events about the hotells in Carson Reno's stories are real as well as many of the characters you meet. My fiction books are what I calls 'Fiction for Fun'. I use real geography and include pictures and characters some readers might recognize. 

Nita: When and how did you start your journey of writing?
Gerald: I did some writing in High School and wrote for some outdoor magazines while in College and early in my working career.

Nita:  What inspired you for writing?
Gerald: I worked on my first book for 13 years and finally decided that if I ever intended to tell the story I needed to get it done.  After that, I began writing Fiction as a hobby and haven’t stopped.

Nita: What all are your interest and hobbies apart from writing?
Gerald: I am an outdoor person. I fish, hunt, play golf and anything that gets me out of the house and away from the computer.

Nita: Is there any specific genre that you prefer to write or read?
Gerald: I write mystery and have always enjoyed reading mystery.

Nita: How will you explain your books?
Gerald: My Carson Reno Mystery Series is what I call ‘Fiction for Fun’.  I use real geography and familiar characters to tell a story that didn’t happen but could have.  All my books are PG rated and the story takes place in the early 1960’s – a very turbulent time for the United States.

Nita: Tell us a bit about your latest book.
Gerald: Carson’s feud with a local crime reporter continues, and then suddenly the husband of his client is brutally murdered - a husband he’s been hired to investigate. Mysterious characters weave a web of blackmail and suspense, while leaving Carson with more clients than he can handle.The Memphis police have warned Carson to back off, but an employee of a friend is missing from a murder scene and he’s determined to find her and the killer.Follow Carson to New Orleans, Humboldt, Memphis and Florida where he chases numerous suspects trying to track down a missing person and the killer he’s been hired to find.Enjoy this unusual adventure for Carson Reno, as he struggles to solve the case of ‘Murder and More’.

Nita: How was your book publishing journey?
Gerald: Rough, as is the case with most authors.  I have used traditional publishers and have self-published.  Frankly, I prefer self-publishing.

Nita: What is your schedule of writing? How often you write and how many words you write a day?
Gerald: I don’t write on a schedule – I write when the mood seems right.  I might write just a single sentence or I might write several chapters – it depends on how my characters are talking to me.

Nita: How was your reaction when your first book got published?
Gerald: Proud and excited, as I’m sure most authors are.

Nita: How do you feel as an Author?
Gerald: It is a hobby.  I would hate to try and make a living at it.

Nita: Did you find difficulty in taking real people or real situation to your book?
Gerald: Not really.  I rarely tell the truth, but do get awful close sometimes.

Nita: Is writing your passion or profession?
Gerald: Passion.  I am a retired executive (35+ years in the Computer Business).

Nita: Best piece of writing advice from you?
Gerald: “Don’t write to get rich, but to enrich others”

Nita: Something personal about you people may be surprised to know?
Gerald: I have read over 1000 books and still have most of them.

Nita: Do you have any upcoming books or plans?
Gerald: Another Carson Reno Mystery Series adventure called ‘Deadly Decision’

Nita: Any message to your fans?
Gerald: Not really.  Just stay tuned, another Carson Reno book is in the works.

Nita: I would love if you will give me some suggestions for my blogs ‘’Your Book Our Review’’ and ‘’All about an Author’’
Gerald: I would be happy to write something for your blog and/or share things from my blog.
Nita: Yes sure, you are always welcome.


You can reach Mr. Gerald W. Darnell through below link:


You can get his book through below link:




''I am really thankful to Mr. Gerald W. Darnell for sharing his thoughts. It was really nice interacting with him.''
                                       
Nita Samantaray
                                                                                     
All about an Author





2 comments: